BISCI (Baker Island Shoreline Cleanup Initiative)
- Coordinating many volunteer partners in gathering, processing, and removing decades' buildup of detritus including ghost lobster traps....BISCI 2011 & BISCI 2012
Mowing Fields and Keeping Cleared Areas Open
- A DECADE of work: First with the Mighty Gravely, then the Legendary Crossing Kubota, ALL KOBI volunteer time
- Ongoing Trimming Brush & Ladder Limbs
Cutting and Disposing of Trees as "Fuel": for fire prevention and building preservation
- NPS Fire Crews Intensive Fire Safety Clearing, phases I & II
Cemetery Restoration and Maintenance
- A long overdue project spear-headed by the Islesford Historical Society; coordinated as joint effort between Dunn Cemetery professionals, Gilley descendants, and KOBI
Educational Outreach/ Connection Hub
- Having a consistent presence, even part-time, has helped connect many of the wide web of Baker's passionate supporters: families of its former lightkeepers; island neighbors; descendants of prominent historians who have written about her; Gilleys; well-known artists who have brought her into galleries worldwide; Stanleys; loyal lifelong octogenarian visitors; Lurveys.
- Signage, photographic displays, and shared anecdotes enrich visitors' experiences whenever we cross paths.
- The oil house displays historical artifacts from the period of significance (1829-1955);
- Photographs of Baker Island through the years and of old Gilley family photographs with a family tree are posted as well. Response has been tremendously positive, but we are always looking for ANY type of feedback!